Tracks Around the Country Postpone Events Due to COVID-19
Below are releases from short tracks around the country that have postponed events due to the COVID-19 pandemic:
KINGSPORT, TN - Kingsport Speedway is postponing it’s 2020 season opener scheduled for Saturday, March 21 due to concerns over the coronavirus.
The season-opening event will take place at a date to be announced later. With Governor Bill Lee declaring a state of emergency in Tennessee and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) discouraging large gatherings, the speedway feels that postponing the event is the best for all parties involved until the situation improves.
“The well-being of our staff, fans, race teams and other stakeholders is our upmost priority,” said Karen Tunnell, general manager at Kingsport Speedway. “While we certainly don’t want to postpone the first race of the season, we feel it is the best thing to do at this time.”
Tunnell says the speedway will continue to monitor the coronavirus and follow advice of authorities.
“As we have been doing continually, we will monitor the situation and follow advice of the CDC and other authorities,” added Tunnell. “Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those effected by this virus, and we look forward to getting back to racing soon.”
Details about other scheduled racing events will be released soon. For the most up-to-date information, follow the speedway’s social media accounts and visit kingsportspeedway.com.
South Boston Speedway
SOUTH BOSTON, VA - Due to the coronavirus outbreak NASCAR has postponed the March 21st Who’s Your Driver NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour 150 at South Boston Speedway. A makeup date for the race will be announced later.
Advance tickets purchased for the March 21 event will be honored on the rescheduled date. “We apologize for any inconvenience, but the health and wellbeing of fans, competitors, staff, and everyone involved is our top priority,” said South Boston Speedway General Manager Cathy Rice.
The Open Practice/Media Day event scheduled for Saturday at South Boston Speedway has been cancelled and will not be rescheduled.
Carteret County Speedway
PELETIER, NC - In accordance with an executive order issued by Governor Roy Cooper banning public gatherings of 50 people or more, Saturday’s racing program at Bobby Watson’s Carteret County Speedway has been canceled.
After a discussion with the Carolina Mini-Stock Challenge, which organized the 4-Cylinder Nationals, the race, which had been postponed once already, will not be made up. The next race at Bobby Watson’s Carteret County Speedway will be the U.S. Stock Car Open, tentatively scheduled for Saturday, April 18th.
“It is with great regret that we are canceling the March 21st race,” track owner Bob Lowery said. “In compliance with the governor’s executive order, we are canceling the March 21st race and are looking forward to Saturday, April 18th. We are eagerly preparing for the April 18th season opener to be one of the biggest season openers we’ve ever had.”
The U.S. Stock Car Open on April 18th will feature 10 divisions of racing, headlined by the Late Model division and the debut of the Charger and Bomber classes. The track will be made available for private testing with dates for testing to be announced in the coming days.
Despite the cancelation of the 2019 make up race, the 2020 4-Cylinder Nationals will take place on Saturday, November 14th.
For more information about Bobby Watson’s Carteret County Speedway, visit the track’s official website at www.carteretspeedway.com, “like” Carteret County Speedway on Facebook or follow @carteretcoswy on Twitter and Instagram.
Lucas Oil Raceway
BROWNSBURG, IN - Lucas Oil Raceway officials have announced that all activities at that facility are being suspended for thirty (30) days in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
The suspension unfortunately will force the cancellation of the Allgaier Performance Parts Cabin Fever event that was scheduled for April 4 and 5 and a number of the normal weekly racing activities as well as postpone the Cleatus and Cars event.
Lucas Oil Raceway intends at this time to resume the original schedule on April 17 with a “Fast Friday” Test-N-Tune on the dragstrip, followed by the kickoff to the 2020 Brown's Oil Service E.T. Bracket Series Presented by Brownsburg Comfort Suites" event on Saturday, April 18 and continue thereafter, subject to developments in the interim.
Lucas Oil Raceway will continue to monitor the situation closely, to listen to experts, and to be transparent as to when they believe racing will resume at Lucas Oil Raceway.
This decision was made with heavy hearts as we see the effects this pandemic is having on the world, the country and our Lucas Oil Raceway family. With recommendations to practice social distancing and reduce social gatherings, we believe this is the right decision and will be the most effective was to protect everyone in the long run.
We are all in this complicated, uncertain and rapidly changing situation together, and we encourage everyone to look out for each other. Please take care of yourselves and your loved ones. We encourage you to consult www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html for information and updates.
Please continue to monitor LucasOilRaceway.com and follow us on social media for additional schedule updates.